Popular Posts

15 November 2015

NARS x Steven Klein 'Dead Of Summer' Eye Palette // Review & Swatches



Hello!

NARS have always been a brand that I've wanted to try out properly but never have. I own one matte lip pencil from the brand and that was it until I saw the new collection in collaboration with photographer Steven Klein. 

When I first found out about the collab, I was immediately drawn to this eye palette. I thought it was a good first big NARS purchase as it had such beautiful and versatile shades, plus it came with a black eyeliner pencil and seemed pretty good value for the £29 it costs on the NARS website.



The palette includes 4 shades of the much coveted Duel-Intensity eyeshadows; 3 which are new and one which has been previously released. 


From left to right the shades are: Studly, Stag Film, Subra and Blackmail. Of the four, Subra is the already existing shade.

Studly is a gorgeous, bright shimmery gold. It's very yellow toned and is lovely as an inner corner highlight or as an all over lid shade. Stag Film is the shade that I was most excited about. It's a beautiful cool toned rose gold with hints of lilac. On me, it does come off a little darker than expected, which I was a little disappointed about as sometimes it seems a little heavy for every day, but for evening wear it works so well. Subra is a shimmery burgundy shade which comes of quite purple. As I have very pale skin, it does appear quite dark on me so I have to be light handed if I want to use this during the day. I also found this a little messy to blend- it was hard to get a good, even smokey look without it looking like a black eye! The last shade Blackmail is a matte shade, the only matte of the palette, which appears to have a hint of red or purple when swatched. It's not a true black shade but that doesn't matter as it means it ties in much better with the other shades.

The mini Larger Than Life Eyeliner in Via Veneto is very pigmented and creamy. I've only used it to do a swatch so far, but that was hell to get off with a make up wipe so I assume it has some mad staying power which I plan to test out properly soon.


From bottom to top: Studly, Stag Film, Subra, Blackmail and Via Veneto


For my look I used Stag Film as an all over lid shade. I then took Subra on a pencil brush to define my crease and to add depth to the outer corner of my eyes. I then winged this shade out slightly. I took the bright gold shade Studly and used it to highlight the inner corners of my eyes and ran the first shade, Stag Film, under my eyes to create a subtle smokey eye. I finished off the look with some liner and mascara.

I used these shades dry but I plan to experiment with them wet to see how the pigmentation changes. 



I really love this palette and it's definitely going to be a firm favourite in my make up collection this season. After trying these eyeshadows, I'm keen to purchase some more Duel-Intensity shades to play around with!

Look out for my review on the NARS x Steven Klein Lip set in 'A Woman's Face' which will be up in a few days!




No comments:

Post a Comment